Monday 5 April 2021

Antony House Gardens

 As it is Easter Monday I anticipated popular places would be very crowded, so I booked to go to Antony House in Torpoint where I knew there was plenty of space for everyone to spread out and socially distance.  The House was not open but I did not mind as I wanted to wander around the gardens.  The  magnolia trees were magnificent and were underplanted with primroses.



There was plenty of space for children to run and play on the grass.  A new addition was an area where they could build dens.  The daffodils, although past their best, were still colourful.


Usually having walked around the gardens I make my way down to the Antony Woodland Gardens, which used to be free for National Trust members visiting Antony.  This is a much more interesting garden than the more formal Antony House Gardens.  There is a lovely collection of camelias and delightful walk along the river.  Today, however, the sign said that because of Covid national trust members could not enter this garden freely.  I wondered if it really was because of Covid or whether they were attempting to make more money!  You could not even walk through the woods to the river.

Instead I walked down the Ferry Road towards Jupiter Point.  As I approached the water the cold north wind was biting, so having seen the view of  the river with the viaduct  from a distance I turned around and made my way back to the car.

It was disappointing not to have been able to wander around the Antony Woodland Garden. It only takes about half an hour to walk around the House gardens and so I probably won't be back until I can combine the two gardens again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment